||S/V Hoku Pa'a and S/V Freya
Maps and Charts
Various Maps, Charts, and Routes:
- Where is Hoku Pa'a now?
- Our track from Mexico to Victoria, May 2020
- Our 6-week circumnavigation of Vancouver Island, Summer 2009
- Here is an animation of our 2-year Pacific cruise from Victoria to New Zealand and back again, with each passage to a new place in a different colour. Each frame of the animation represents 4 days of sailing, at an average of about 100 nautical miles/day.
- Overview of major Islands of the South Pacific
- Kiritimati is a coral atoll with interesting place names
- September 2005: We cruised northern and eastern Fiji waters, circumnavigating Vanua Levu, setting off from Savusavu and stopping at Viani Bay, Taveuni Is., Rabi Is., and villages along the north coast. Here's an overview chart of Fiji, showing some spots
we visited: Koro, Nananu-i-ra and Makogai Islands, Levuka town, and of course Savusavu.
- Fiji is quite a navigational challenge; reefs abound! Have a look at this closeup
chart of the passage between Levuka town on Ovelau Is., and Nananu-i-ra. It's about 48 nautical miles between the two and it took us a full day to sail the distance. We often posted a bow lookout to watch for the sharp pointy bits.
- Our actual route Victoria to Hawai'i (2004) overlaid on one of the weather charts with the approximate position at noon each day shown in red.
- Enroute, we get our weather information by Shortwave Radio WeatherFax. You can find out more about how we get and use WeatherFax here.
This page last updated
8 Jun 2020